Many home craftsmen build a foundation of asbestos pipes with their own hands, because such structures are easy to install, reliable and have a relatively low cost. The main material here are asbestos pipes for the foundation – an inexpensive and affordable material. You will be able to perform the whole complex of works with your own hands, without using expensive special equipment and the services of professional builders.
Tools that you need to work:
- Hand drill.
- Concrete mixer.
- Standard hand tools that each owner has.
Pros and cons of such a foundation
In the photo – the appearance of the column structure.
The foundation on asbestos-cement pipes has both positive and negative characteristics, which you should be aware of when starting work.
- Price. For example, a monolithic base will cost you at least twice as much.
- Land works are reduced to zero. You do not need to level the soil or dig a pit.
- High installation speed and the ability to start building a building almost immediately. So, the foundation of asbestos pipes should be left for 6-8 days, while the strip base needs about 28 days to do this.
- Since the main building is 30 cm above the ground level, it is not threatened with flooding during heavy rains and floods. Also, with this design, communications (water and sewage) are greatly facilitated.
- Such designs are relatively short-lived and serve about 70 years. For example, the same brick foundation can withstand almost twice as long.
- A small load-bearing load, due to which a bored pile foundation made of asbestos-cement pipes can be used only in the construction of small buildings and houses. In most cases, these are single-story buildings of relatively small area. This type of foundation is an excellent option for frame-shield and wooden houses.
- Difficulties in arranging the basement due to design features. In some cases, this is completely impossible.
- Construction on mobile soils is unacceptable, exactly as in areas characterized by significant height differences.
Preparation for work
Hand drills of different sizes.
First you need to prepare the surface. The main step in the preparation of the surface is its layout. Of course, the closer the location of the supports to each other, the stronger and more reliable the foundation will be. The ideal distance is 1.5 – 2.5 meters.
A prerequisite for carrying out the marking is to find supports under the most loaded parts of the building, including the load-bearing walls, the furnace and the corners.
The depth of the supports should be made 25-30 cm below the level of soil freezing. For our climate, it is about 1.5 meters. The diameter of the holes directly depends on the selected type of pipes and will be 150-250 mm. Supports should not protrude from the ground by more than half a meter.
Asbestos cement pipes for foundations are actively used for two reasons:
- Resistance to corrosive effects. unlike metal pipes, which quickly rust off.
- Resistance to low temperatures and temperature extremes. when compared with plastic.
The instructions for the construction involves the following steps:
- In the drilled well we place the pipe 20 cm in diameter. The depth of the well is approximately one and a half meters. The pipe should be 30-40 cm above the ground.
- The pillars are level and must be of the same length.
- In fact, such pipes are only formwork, the main load falls on the metal rods located inside it.
There are the following ways to install such a foundation.
Consider them in more detail:
- The first method involves the following actions:
- We insert the pipe into the prepared pit.
- At a distance of 6-7 cm from each other we drive two reinforcing rods into the pipe. The armature must be driven into the ground by 20-30 cm, and as it should protrude from above.
We expose the pipe level.
- Having set the level, we fill the pipe with concrete. Filling occurs from inside and outside at the same time. The protruding rebar edges will later serve to form the grills. The grillage is the part of the foundation on which the building is being erected. (See also the article The device of the column foundation with the grillage with their own hands)
- The second method involves the following steps:
- Fill the pipe with 1/3 of the concrete solution (see also the article Concrete brand for the foundation – how to make the right choice).
- After the pipe goes up by 10-15 cm, it is necessary to lower the reinforcing bars in it, which will not protrude beyond its base. In this case, the concrete will create a broadening preventing the pile from being pushed out.
- Raised pipe must be set to level in accordance with other pipes.
- Next, you should fill the pipe with concrete to the brim.
Fill the pipe with concrete.
- A stud is placed in the pipe, which should be threaded up to 20-30 cm. It will serve as the basis for the formation of grillages.
- The advantage of this method is the presence of a thread, which means a great ease in the installation of the grillages.
Reinforcing bars should preferably be treated with special compounds to prevent metal wear, ensuring its protection from moisture.
If such a foundation is installed on loose soil, then before mounting the supports it is necessary to carry out the following actions:
- We mix sand and gravel in a ratio of 1: 1.
- Pour into the well the resulting mixture, a layer of about 10-15 cm.
- Cover the mixture of sand and gravel with a moisture-resistant material. In this case, suitable as a ruberoid, and construction cellophane.
Sand-gravel mixture, which should be used to form the substrate under the pipe.
Strengthening the pillar foundation
Unfortunately, if it is wrong to calculate the load or to make a mistake when erecting a columnar base, this can lead to critical changes, resulting in construction imbalance, uneven subsidence, or even cracks in the load-bearing walls. What to do in this case?
You will need to dig a trench in the place where the building subsided, and pour a monolithic foundation base, which will strengthen the structure. You can also drill holes in the supports, insert screws or anchors into them and weld reinforced rods to them, thereby ensuring a strong connection between all the supports of the structure.
Another option is to raise the building with the help of special equipment, digging a trench from the sagging side and a monolithic or strip foundation bay. This method is the most expensive, but also the most effective.
Arrangement of the columnar base is a fairly simple and least costly way of building a foundation for lightweight buildings. Therefore, if you are planning a country house or household building for any purpose, you can safely get to work.
In the presented video in this article you will find additional information on this topic.
Tips for laying the foundation of asbestos pipes
The foundation of the pile of pipes with their own hands
The foundation is the foundation of the building, the durability of the building depends on its strength. In fact, it is the main supporting structure of the building, its movements or subsidence lead to distortions in the building structure, the floors begin to swell and the doors stop closing, and in the worst case the house can simply collapse. How to build an inexpensive and reliable column foundation of reliable asbestos pipes, we propose to consider in the article.
Scheme of the column foundation of pipes
It should be noted that precisely in recent times this type of foundation of the house has become especially popular.
Advantages and disadvantages of the pile foundation
The base for the house of asbestos cement pipes is beneficial in material terms and reliably enough for the construction of light buildings and auxiliary structures such as log houses or frame houses, bath houses, and household outbuildings. To build a columnar foundation of asbestos pipes, you will need the pipe itself, a garden drill, a concrete mixer (it can be rented for the period of construction), several bars of corrugated reinforcement, sand and cement. According to the complexity of the performance it is quite possible to build their own hands.
The following can be said about the merits of such a foundation:
Asbestos pipes do not require large expenditures, they are quickly built, protects from moisture.
- in comparison with monolithic solutions, the foundation of asbestos-cement pipes for a house will be twice as cheap and require half the time and effort required;
- digging of the pit for such a foundation is not necessary;
- the pile foundation of asbestos-cement pipes is built very quickly, after completion of the work, you can immediately start building a house, saving up to two weeks compared to a monolithic foundation;
- The height of such a foundation above the ground is usually not less than 30 cm, which will relieve water from entering the house during heavy rains and flooding, and if floods have ever occurred in a given area, the piles can be raised higher;
- on the foundation of asbestos-cement piles, it is much easier to bring communications to the house – water supply, sewerage, gas connections and so on.
The use of such grounds is limited to the following factors:
- such constructions are applicable only on condition of placement of structures of limited mass on them;
- the duration of the safe operation of pile foundations from asbestos-cement piles is limited to 80 years;
- in houses on such foundations it is almost impossible to arrange a basement;
- Foundation of asbestos cement piles is impossible in places with floating grounds.
For these purposes, other materials are also applicable, in particular metal or plastic products. However, they also have characteristic flaws in materials. Metal pipes are subject to corrosion and are more expensive, and plastic have limitations on the effect of negative temperatures.
Asbestos-cement pipes have the lowest coefficient of thermal expansion, which ensures the stability of the foundation during operation.
How to make a foundation
Starting the construction you need to make a number of mandatory actions so that the work is not performed in vain:
- Determine the quality of soils at the construction site to exclude contact with floating soils.
- To clarify the depth of soil freezing in a given area, the depth of immersion of asbestos-cement pipes depends on it.
- Calculate the size of the pile, taking into account the maximum redistributed load on the pipe 800 kg. If the design load is more, you need to increase the number of intermediate piles.
The calculation of the column foundation of pipes
The order of work
The sequence of laying the pillar foundation
- Mark the plan of the house at the chosen place, mark the points of intersection of the bearing walls with pegs.
- Check the markup by measuring the overall dimensions of the markers diagonals. They must be the same.
- Mark the location of intermediate piles under the bearing walls. The distance between them should be no more than 1 meter.
- Garden drill to perform in the ground hole for the pile. The depth of immersion should be greater than the freezing of the soil by 0.3-0.5 meters. The hole diameter is made at least 5 cm larger than the diameter of the pile. The work is easily done by hand
- Fill the base of the asbestos-cement pipe with two layers of sand and gravel.
- Add tamping and shedding water.
- Mark and cut the pipe with your own hands using the grinder to the required length, taking into account that the upper end is above the ground level by about 30 cm.
- The immersed end must be treated with a water-polymer waterproofing for the immersion length in accordance with the instructions on the packaging of the emulsion. The work is easily done by the hands of one person.
- Lower the pipe into the hole and fasten it with wooden bars.
- Also install the remaining piles. Once again measure the diagonal, if necessary, correct the location of the pipes.
- Using a level, check the horizontal positioning of the upper ends of asbestos-cement piles, mark the level of pouring pipes with concrete. Speakers cut off after hardening of concrete.
- Pour piles of concrete, prepared according to the following recipe: 2 parts of cement M300, two parts of sand, two parts of gravel of the middle fraction, water. To check the consistency of concrete, make a ball with a diameter of about 10 cm from it. It should sink slightly under its weight, but not crumble and not blur.
- Outside of the pile, install 3 – 4 bars of reinforcement by tying them with wire. Inside the pipe in the same way to install the bars of the reinforcing steel.
- After loading the concrete kneading tube inside or outside, pierce the layer of mass in a bar with a rod in several places and priramet to prevent the formation of air bubbles in the pouring mass.
- After that, take a break for 5 – 7 days to perform any work at the construction site to give the concrete time to harden.
- Check the horizontal of the upper ends of the piles, if necessary, shorten the speakers with their own hands.
If it is necessary to reinforce pile foundations, a structural element, called a grillage, is applied. This term refers to a concrete slab or beam that is laid over the vertical supports of the foundation.
Types of grillages
Types of execution.
Types of grillages
- High – supporting element is located above the ground surface, it is used in areas with high location of groundwater.
- Low – it is used with a deep location of groundwater and in areas with a small depth of soil freezing.
- Elevated grillage called the supporting element, located at ground level. It is carried out by production of a timbering, reinforcing and continuous filling by concrete. The most solid foundation for low-rise and larger construction, as the support turns into a monolithic structure.
Types of grillages on the materials used:
- Wooden – rostverk of timber, used for the construction of houses made of wood, bath, household buildings. Easy to do it yourself. It needs high-quality protection of wood from rotting and pests.
- Steel – made of steel structures, rods and screw piles. It is used in lightweight construction, is durable and resistant. The disadvantage is corrosion susceptibility.
- Monolithic – a system of elements from asbestos-cement piles and a cast concrete bearing surface that unites all the constituent structures into a single whole. The most reliable and durable type of pile foundations.
Types of grillages on materials
Wanting to make a foundation for a country house with your own hands, pay attention to the techniques described here. You will get a foundation of sufficient strength at low cost. I wish you success!
Sources: http://fb.ru/article/193095/kak-sdelat-fundament-iz-asbestotsementnyih-trub, http://ofundamentah.com/vidy/stolbchatij/32-stolbchatyj-fundament-iz-asbestovyx-trub- svoimi-rukami, http://domzastroika.ru/foundation/zalozhenie-fundamenta-iz-asbestovih-trub.html