Century-century private wood construction has been popular in our country. Covering the house with clapboard will reflect the aesthetic and artistic taste of the owner and highlight the house among other similar ones; finishing of the interior and exterior of the building will help. A cost-effective and affordable way to transform the appearance of the house – it is sheathed clapboard clapboard outside.
In addition to the colorful design, with this method of finishing an additional protection of the building against the negative influence of external factors is provided, which affects the extension of the service life.
This article contains helpful tips to avoid making mistakes when covering a log house with clapboard.
Types of lining as a building material
The key features that determine the popularity of lining as a type of finish are simplicity and speed of installation, as well as a natural appearance, which allows you to quickly and well sheathe a wooden house outside.
The range on the building materials market is varied. First of all, it is determined from what material the wall paneling and its processing are needed, what fasteners are needed.
In addition to the above advantages, wood paneling is a natural sound insulator and has a low coefficient of thermal conductivity. Protecting the internal space of the house from outside noise, the house clad with clapboard still creates an additional layer of thermal insulation.
When choosing the wood from which the wall paneling is made, pay attention to its quality. So that in the near future there will be cracks on the surface, the moisture content of the lumber should be below 15%, the boards are selected without wormholes and not affected by mold fungus. The presence of a large number of knots in an array of wood reduces the mechanical strength of the finished product.
However, more often sheathe the house outside with panels of plastic or metal siding and even sheets of steel. There are a number of reasons for this:
- Long service life of an artificial or metallic material that additionally protects the base of the wooden structure from rotting;
- Resistance to external factors (temperature extremes, precipitation, exposure to solar UV radiation), maintaining presentable for a long time;
- Excellent hygro-phobicity;
- Low flammability of plastic, which ensures safety in case of fire.
Regarding wooden lining, plastic panels are cheaper and, moreover, do not require additional processing to protect against moisture and pests, but are susceptible to mechanical stress, from which dents, scratches remain on the surface, and are not able to withstand the mounting of additional decorative elements.
Before you clap a wooden house outside with a clapboard, choose the type of profile you are working with. The following varieties are offered:
- Calm, providing full invisibility of the connecting joints and a flat surface area of the skin;
- Type lining “American”, providing for the installation of boards overlap;
- Euro lining with high ventilation and drainage properties due to fastening of the “groove-thorn” type;
- Block house with a convex surface, the appearance of the skin which is a siding in the form of a log;
- Simple panel – imitation timber.
It is important to sheathe a log cabin on the outside with clapboard for exterior walls that are more resistant, so it is recommended in the store to pay attention to the technical characteristics of the panels.
To sheathe a log house outside with wooden or plastic clapboard, the sheathing is assembled first, i.e. frame on which the panels will be mounted directly. The crate is made of wooden or metal profile with a thickness of 27 mm and a width of 60 mm.
The sheathing device is mounted both vertically and horizontally. This primarily affects the layout of the cladding panels, which are mounted perpendicular to the frame guides.
Before mounting the construction of the base, it is important, first, to treat the walls with antiseptic and fire retardants to protect against rotting and fire, and secondly, to place a vapor barrier on the walls of roofing material, asphalt, aluminum foil or plastic film.
Installation of lathing is performed according to the following algorithm:
- Mounting support profiles;
- Fastening along the edges of elements perpendicular to the parts of the batten;
- Installation and fixation of additional elements;
- Installation of additional parts around the perimeter of the protruding elements of windows and doors;
- Installation of mounting suspensions to create additional structural strength;
- Institution and fixing of profiles with screws in guides;
- Fastening the edges of the suspensions at the points of mounting the profile at an angle of 90 degrees;
- Fastening bent wings of suspensions;
- Trimming excess, protruding above the profile, parts.
In order to properly sheathe the house outside, it is important to ensure reliable fastening of dowel-nails profiles. This is done in increments of 15-20 cm. If the wall surface is uneven, the use of substrates for fasteners is necessary, otherwise the profiles will bend.
Having established a frame made of wood, it is required to treat it with special protective compounds that protect the material from rotting, fungus, high humidity and the appearance of pests of the tree.
Features of ventilated facades
To create a ventilated facade, they build a counter lattice and choose materials for the ventilation façade. The choice of a similar design will provide natural ventilation, and if you additionally sheathe the wall of the house outside with a penoplex or other insulation, which increases the insulating properties of the building.
Even without the use of insulation, the creation of an airbag has a positive effect on:
- increased level of insulation, reducing energy consumption for heating by more than 25%;
- extended service life (up to 50 years) due to the original installation scheme, which neutralizes the effect of thermal deformations that cause cracks on the cladding material;
- resistance to high humidity;
- additional protection of supporting structures;
- use of additional architectural and design solutions on the facade;
- mounting on types of surfaces from wood or metal, to brick and concrete.
To sheathe the building from the outside with a material on a counter-lattice is a reasonable solution for our weather conditions.
Types of mounting panels
There are several ways to fasten the panels, but all of them provide for hiding the fasteners, which allows you to sheathe a bath, hut or other building without visibility of the fastener.
Very often, special groove-tongue clamps — clamps — that are fixed with screws or nails to the crate are used for mounting wooden lining. Kleimer firmly pressed the panel to the wall and are invisible after installing the next part.
Also use nails, the old and time-consuming method, or decorative screws, securely fixing the panel on the surface. This mounting method allows you to dismantle or replace the cladding element, if necessary.
PVC panels, as a rule, are fixed with staples, fired from a special construction stapler. This method allows you to quickly sheathe the house clapboard outside.
Of the two materials described have to choose one. Traditional lining requires significant time and certain skills, and also provides for the additional costs of processing panels from the effects of external factors, It should be noted that the lining is resistant to mechanical stress.
The use of plastic reduces the time of installation of the panels, such panels are lighter in weight and less expensive.
In any case, the main thing is to comply with all the nuances of installation and buy quality material for the facade cladding. This will allow you to get a result that will please the eye for a long time.
No related posts.
Sheathing clapboard outside the house: a phased process
In the photo – the beginning of the work on the trim of the house wood paneling
Covering clapboard outside the house is a great choice for those who decide to improve the exterior of the house, since such decoration will change its appearance. In addition, the use of eurolining as sheathing material will improve the insulation properties, in particular sound and heat.
This article will tell not only how to sheathe the house clapboard outside, but also help you choose the right material.
Types of raw panels
In total, there are two main types of lining, depending on the raw materials – wood and PVC. Talk about which option should be preferred, and how plastic differs from wooden. can only study their features.
Sheathe house can be plastic panels
Features of plastic outer lining:
- long service life (no rotting process);
- no need for care;
- external plastic lining is not exposed to environmental influences.
Features of wooden lining:
- elegant design;
- high sound insulation performance;
- thermal conductivity is low.
Lining of wood, also known as lining for exterior decoration, can be divided into a simple option and eurolining. The separation takes into account the use of estimated data for comparison with generally accepted standards.
The main standard for the production of this material – GOST 8242-88, abroad DIN 68126. At the same time, import indicators differ somewhat from Russian ones due to external indicators of wood, more deliberate geometrical properties, which can not but lead to the fact that the price of the material is significantly higher.
The manufacturer is obliged to indicate the compliance of products with regulatory documents.
Basics of choosing eurolining
Before you choose the material for plating, you should learn a few rules:
- To avoid further deformation of the material, which occurs as a result of drying and leads to the formation of cracks, you should choose the type of lining, the humidity of which will lie in the range from 10 to 15%;
Moisture test moisture meter
Tip: Ask the seller to confirm the declared humidity – if he refuses, there is reason to think about the advisability of the purchase.
- Be sure to inspect the material for the presence of wormholes and foreign spots;
- The number of knots in the selected material should be minimal.
Note! The cladding of the house clapboard on the outside should be made of a material created from coniferous species, since hardwood (not counting aspen) is not suitable for external cladding.
Conifers are preferred
- Fasteners vapor barrier;
- Installation directly to the frame;
- Installation of thermal insulation;
- Conducting waterproofing;
- Construction of the frame of the second;
- Exterior finish clapboard .
Initially, you should choose a material that will act as a vapor barrier; usually, roofing material, aluminum foil or even ordinary polyethylene film is used for this purpose.
Upholstery vapor barrier film
Prerequisite is the presence of ventilation of the facade of the house, for which the vapor barrier is nailed directly to the rails nailed to the wall. Reiki should be mounted at a distance of one meter, and their width should be about 2.5 centimeters. For additional ventilation, holes are made (20 mm) at the bottom and top between the slats.
The frame can be made with your own hands from the boards, securing them to the wall of the building in an upright position. The thickness of the boards should be in the range of 40-50 mm, and a width of about 10 centimeters.
The distance between the boards should be left less than the width of the sheets of insulation by 1-2 centimeters.
Installation of thermal insulation
Thermal insulation placement is a further stage, which requires finishing the house with clapboard outside.
It occurs through the following steps:
- Installation of layers of mineral wool occurs without gaps between them;
- To achieve this, you need to put two layers of mineral wool at the same time, 50 mm thick;
- The main feature of the masonry – the joint of the lower plates is covered with the middle of the upper layer, while due to the natural elasticity, additional fasteners are not required, which can be seen from the photo.
In the photo – the use of waterproofing materials
- In order to prevent moisture from entering the house, a waterproofing film should be installed, which is mounted on top of the thermal insulation layer;
- The mounting of the film is carried out by means of building brackets to the boards;
- Leaving an overlap of about 5-10 cm, you should glue it with scotch tape, which will allow you to get the best effect.
Attention! To get the perfect ratio, should be laid hydrofilm smooth side to the insulation.
Installing the frame under the finishing trim
According to the steps mentioned above, the next step is to install the second frame.
- On the boards of the first frame on top of hydrofilm should be nailed slats. Their thickness should be 2-3 cm, width 0.5 mm. This allows additional ventilation and condensate removal on hydrofilm;
The frame of the timber under the panel
- In order to prevent rodents and insects from entering the space below, it should be blocked with a metal grid.
Finishing the outer layer through lining
The final stage is cladding:
- The process begins with the preparation of boards of the desired length, should begin at the bottom, with the starting board having the slots up, a prerequisite is to use the level to ensure its level position;
- Having convinced that the board is fixed, it is necessary to attach it with nails (clips). The workpiece should always be leveled before fastening;
- Next comes the installation of the second sheet of lining on the standard system groove-thorn. To thorn the top of the board tightly entered the groove of the bottom, you should use a wooden hammer;
- After securing the second board, insert the rest.
Some of the secrets of editing are presented in the photo.
After lining outside has undergone complete installation, proceed to the vertical fixation of the boards at the corners of the boards. Here the obligatory moment is the presence of an overlap, when one comes to another.
Window taps are made along a similar path, the pediment is sheathed most often by horizontal fixing of boards. Only after the completion of the entire plating process should you start painting.
An analogue of simple painting can be a coating with a special liquid, which is impregnation for lining outside. It allows not only to protect the tree from any external influences, including insects, but also preserves the natural color of the wood. See also what characteristics has painted lining.
Starting simple painting, you should observe some nuances:
- The entire surface is pre-treated with a grinding machine. It requires the presence of a fixed sandpaper (grain 40-25-80 or 120);
- In case of using oil paint, it is necessary to apply linseed oil in two layers, and paint should be applied only after it has completely dried.
Despite the fact that everyone can take advantage of the opportunity to sheathe a house with clapboard on the outside, this process requires certain physical and temporary costs. A great analogue of wood trim will be plastic lining.
On our site you can find a large number of videos that allow you to make certain valuable tips and step by step instructions.
Sources: http://www.stroymasterok.com/remont-i-otdelka/steny/obshivka-doma-vagonkoy-snaruzhi/, http://wizba.ru/steny/obshit-dom-vagonkoy-snaruzhi.html/, http://beaver-news.ru/snaruzhi/166-obshivka-vagonkoj-snaruzhi-doma-poetapnyj-process/